"Make what you want to make, and make it the way you want to make it." Gwen Marston

Saturday, January 6, 2018

FNWF and More

Last night was FNWF, and I stitched along with friends all around the world.  Most of the evening was spent with this little stitchery.  It will be part of a larger wall hanging in the near future.


Earlier in the day, I spent a few hours putting together some blocks that I made in the fall, before vacation.  I now have a child's quilt, a baby quilt, and a place mat.  Well, I will when they're quilted, which will be soon, I promise!




These were all made from scraps from a previous project.  The directions had called for fat eighths, but I had to buy fat quarters, so there was a lot of leftover fabric.  The background fabric, and the backing are also leftover from previous projects, so these were all free!

I have been debating over several new  online projects for the year, and finally decided that I could combine two of them!  Darlene, from A Needle Pulling Thread Quilt Shop, has challenged us to make a block every week of the year, from a simple checkerboard pattern.  I've decided to accept the challenge, and combine it with the RSC18 challenge, so I'll be making my weekly blocks using the assigned RSC color each month.  This month is light blue.  This block is pretty simple to make, and I might just make more than one each week!  Who knows.


We are experiencing some extremely cold weather, so I've had plenty of time to stay indoors and play with my fabric.  Earlier in the week, before the temperatures got quite so extreme, I went for a walk to see the frozen Potomac River.  We don't usually have extended periods of temperatures  cold enough to freeze the river, so it was interesting!

No kayaking under this bridge for awhile!



They brought in a backhoe to break a section of ice so crazy people could jump in the river for the Polar Bear Plunge on January 1st.  It's an annual fund raiser that draws quite a crowd.




Snow angel on the canal

Until it warms up, you can find me in my sewing room!      Sunny


27 comments:

  1. Lovely stitchery heart and your churn dash work is beautiful! Great projedt for RSC. I am bowing out of it this year....but I do love it! Still cannot over your frosty photos xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been a busy lady working on your stitchery, great projects made from your churn dash blocks and competed your first block for both challenges...Phew!
    I enjoy my dip each morning but I'll pass on the diving into thr freezing river. brrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that sure is cold.........goodluck with your sewing projects.....I have my churn dash up on the design wall now to join up............

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy that sure is cold. We are the opposite direction. 111 f. Victoria Australia...
    keep warm and happy sewing

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were very busy on some wonderful projects.
    I love the pics you added too...xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I’d be inside sewing as well if the river was frozen. Pretty light blues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Churn dash... one of my fav's! Beautiful. The checkerboard blocks will be amazing by changing up the colors each week. Fun! It's cold in NC too.... we def. aren't used to this weather. Stay away from the frozen river! (even though it's beautiful)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your churn dash. Must make one of those one day. And I love winter - so glad to share some of it with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Checkerboard Challenge will be a perfect pairing with the RSC. You are off to a great start with that BLUE block!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to know if you made the snow angel???
    My feet are still cold and in socks--I have had socks on for over 10 days straight--that is unheard of for my feet!!! yep even up north--I might of worn socks 3-5 times all winter!! Your block of the week challenge sounds like fun--!!
    hugs, di

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your ice river photos are amazing! What camera do you use? I dont remember coming to your site before. Will be fun to follow along this year! Fun blocks and projects. Thanks for sharing. Happy 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your churn dash top is charming. I'm piecing my second and the two blocks are not the same size, don't know why. Those photos of the frosty branches are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sunny lovely work my friend you were sure busy. Boy you wouldnt get me jumping in the river ,brrr thats cold,keep warm my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your RSC 18 is similar to my 52 week quilt block challenge. Love your colors and you photos We too are experience blizzard conditions which has kept me nice and toasty inside for three days. But the sewing machine is not frozen ...lol Stay safe. and let us be patient only 11 more weeks before spring.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your RSC 18 is similar to my 52 week quilt block challenge. Love your colors and you photos We too are experience blizzard conditions which has kept me nice and toasty inside for three days. But the sewing machine is not frozen ...lol Stay safe. and let us be patient only 11 more weeks before spring.

    ReplyDelete
  16. very sweet stitchery and blue block... gosh it does look cold and I think sewing is a good place to hide...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect weather to stay inside and sew!! I like your block a week combo idea.. still trying to decide what I am doing this year ... :) Love the stitchery.. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a delightful stitchery .
    And so good to see how many projects you made from all the extra blocks. Great way to use them.
    We have been watching your weather and were stunned when our family had over 7 inches of snow in Charleston. Love seeing your photos of the ice.
    But I would rather be inside. Brrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy New Year Sunny! Love your little churn dash quilt and I always enjoy seeing your beautiful photographs! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great use of the wonderful left-overs Sunny & that is one of my favourite blocks - simple but so effective.
    Lovely light blues block for RSC2018... I'm doing that too

    ReplyDelete
  21. Using up my leftovers as I generate them is my new plan for 2018, and I love, love, love what you’ve done with yours! That’s a very sweet little stitchery! I haven’t embroidered in ages, but I love it! Enjoy your frosty weather! I certainly enjoyed your frosty pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That little heart design is darling, and I love your quilts, you are so productive! Amazing to see the river frozen. The Great Lakes ice has increased so fast lately, but now we're having a warm-up, it'll be interesting to see how many ice fishermen fall through....wouldn't catch me out there.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely wee stitchery Sunny and good idea with combining two sewalongs at once! Gosh those are amazing photos of the ice - but what a great excuse tosay indoors and play with fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Brr...those pictures look quite chilly, but spectacular too.

    Your stitchery is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ich sehe schon, es war ein erfolgreicher Freitagabend für dich !Die Fotos mit dem wasser sehen ja gefährlich aus.
    Liebe Grüße
    Käthe

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello Sunny. Thank you for your visit to my blog & the lovely comment you left me. I love all your projects you are working on. That ice is amazing - we are in mid summer here & the temps are stifling. Happy Stitching to you Sunny.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice to combine your two projects. I'm a big fan of the Churn Dash block, so I adore your quilt top. Isn't frozen water so appealing? Lovely pictures of it!

    ReplyDelete

You comments mean a lot to me. Thanks for stopping by.